Patterns Research

 Here are some interesting patterns I noticed in this past week:




The first photo is of a moon-like plant pot. After that is an image of crinkled aluminum foil, and the final image is of a zebra-patterned towel.

I think it's safe to say I'm drawn to more irregular and organic patterns. I really like the variation in size of the "craters" on the moon pot. 

As for the aluminum foil, I find the intricate and messy pattern of the highlights and shadows captivating. I've always loved how crumpled tinfoil looks.

I think the directional aspect of the organic zebra pattern shapes is interesting. This is the pattern I chose to recreate in Rhino, as it has the most distinct sections and appeared to be the most straightforward in terms of modelling.


I only traced out a section of the pattern and shaded it in. Tracing the stripes took much longer than I anticipated, due to the relatively random nature of the shapes. 

I also decided to try repeating this short segment to extend the pattern more easily. I had to add a few more stripes to fill in gaps between the segments after I copied it.

I'm proud of the final result. I think it looks interesting, and could be extended in other directions as well, with minor tweaks.

In terms of combining patterns, the zebra stripes would look interesting if used at a larger scale and filled with a version of the tinfoil pattern. The same could be done with the moon pattern in place of the aluminum foil.

- Pete

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laser Cutting Research

Laser Cut Project